Building a Balanced Diet
Eating a healthy and well-rounded diet can help to support all areas of your health. Follow these tips to maximize the vitamins and nutrients you get in your day-to-day meals.
Eating Nutrient-Dense Foods
According to the National Cancer Institute, nutrient-dense foods are those that are high in nutrients and low in calories. Nutrient-dense foods typically contain essential vitamins, minerals, complex carbohydrates, proteins and healthy fats.
Some nutrient-dense foods to consider adding to your shopping list the next time you go to the grocery store include:
- Kale: Kale is packed with vitamins A, B6, C and K1 as well as fiber, antioxidants, potassium, calcium and other essential minerals.
- Salmon: Of all fish, salmon contains the highest amounts of Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Liver: Liver is rich in vitamins A, B2, B5, B6, copper, irons, phosphorous and other minerals.
- Eggs: Eggs are an excellent source of protein and also provide vitamins and minerals, including vitamins A, B5 and B12 as well as phosphorus and selenium.
- Garlic: Garlic is high in vitamins and minerals, including vitamins C, B1 and B6 as well as copper and potassium.
Opt for Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
When it comes to choosing snacks throughout your day, it can be tempting to reach for processed and packaged foods out of convenience. However, these options likely don’t add much nutritional value to your diet. Opt for fresh fruits and vegetables as your smaller snacks between meals. You even can prepare pre-portioned or cut-up fruits and veggies at the start of each week, for convenience.
Add Color to Your Plate
When preparing a meal, a simple tip to help you get various types of vitamins and minerals into your diet is to make sure there is a variety of colors on your plate. If you notice that your meal is skewing more toward one solid color such as brown or tan, be sure to add in fruits and vegetables to make your meal more colorful—and therefore, well-rounded.
Primary and Specialty Care in Northeast Ohio
Need guidance on how to better manage your health? The Southwest General Medical Group, Inc.
includes both primary care and specialty care physicians who are committed to providing patients with high-quality medical care. Our team of board-certified specialists and skilled physicians work to raise the bar for excellence in health care service for our community. To learn more about our primary and specialty care services or schedule an appointment, visit our website