Southwest General’s Screening Colonoscopy Efforts
Important Information You Should Know About Colon Cancer:
- Colorectal cancer is the third most common cancer and the second leading
cause of cancer death.
- Colorectal cancer often starts with no symptoms.
- Both men and women can get it.
This is one cancer you
- Screening can save your life!
Southwest General’s Initiatives for Increasing Colon Cancer Screenings:
Open Access Colonoscopy Screening Program – makes scheduling screening colonoscopies easier by providing eligible
patients the opportunity to directly schedule the procedure without a
doctor’s visit beforehand.
Collaboration efforts with primary care physicians
Alerts and reminders to patients turning 50
Information tables, health fairs, and community events
Southwest General’s Screening Outcomes:
Southwest General has seen a significant increase in screening colonoscopies
over the years, largely due to increased awareness and the implemented
*The yearly number for 2016 has been based on an annualized number, and
may slightly vary.
- From 2014 to 2015, there was an 18% increase in screening colonoscopies.
- Currently for 2016, SWG is trending to see a 33% increase from the prior year.
To learn more about getting a screening colonoscopy or the opportunities
available at Southwest General, please call