Your Birthing Journey
Having a baby is an exciting time, and Southwest General is here to help
you every step of the way. Before you deliver your baby at Southwest General,
our maternity coordinator looks forward to meeting with you to develop
a customized Birth Plan that reflects your wants and needs and that supports
an exceptional experience for Your Birthing Journey.
What Is a Birth Plan?
A birth plan is a document that lets members of your medical care team
know your wishes for things like how to manage labor pain; who to allow
in the room with you during delivery; feeding preferences for your baby;
and much, much more.
By developing a Birth Plan, you will help our nurses to be aware of your
birth experience preferences, and your admission to the hospital will
be quicker and easier.
Developing Your Birth Plan
Our maternity coordinator will meet with you between 26 and 32 weeks of
pregnancy. During your meeting, the coordinator will guide you in a discussion
about your labor and delivery preferences. This will include topics such
as who may be in the delivery room, how you wish to feed your baby, pain
management techniques and more.
Additionally, the maternity coordinator will:
- Answer any questions you have about the Maternity Unit or your care before,
during and after the birth of your baby
- Review important medical information, including a list of your medications
- Explain what to expect when you arrive, what may happen during the course
of your labor and delivery, and what to expect during your recovery
- Review what to bring to the hospital when labor starts, visiting policies
and how to select a pediatrician
- If you have decided to breastfeed, the coordinator may do a brief breast
exam and answer any questions you may have about the feeding choice you
have selected. If necessary, you will be referred to a lactation (breastfeeding)
consultant prior to delivery so that breastfeeding starts off optimally
for you and your baby.
- Provide you with a one on one tour of Southwest General’s Maternity Unit
- Explain classes available to you and your family to better prepare you
for your baby’s arrival
- And more!
To learn more about Your Birthing Journey at Southwest General, contact
440-816-5050 to request a call from the maternity coordinator.